Thursday, April 5, 2012

What is a sister?

Being a Delta Gamma gives you the opportunity to make lifelong bonds with girls that become your sisters.  A “sister” can be many things – each person has a different definition and experience that determines how they see a sister.  I asked girls in Delta Gamma to explain to me a situation or example or just list characteristics of what a sister is to them.  In reality, these are just girls who walk into your life as strangers, but once we are all united in the same house, wearing the same badge, we mesh together and form a lifelong membership.  We share one strong bond and reach for a very common goal.

Victoria Ellington – 2nd year member:
"Sisterhood holds me to a higher standard in my everyday life – before I was a selfish person, but having my sisters, my peers, around me has made me a much more considerate, empathetic and understanding person.”

Sarah Hutton – 2nd year member:

“To me, a sister is someone who you can be silly with -- someone that you can scream at one second, and laugh with the next.  Some of my closest sisters and I will spend all day together, just hanging out and cracking up.  They accept me just as I am.”
Amanda Shook – 4th year member:

“Me and my closest sisters always watch movies together and eat tons of ice cream and Dorito tacos from taco bell.  I love that I can just relax and be super comfortable.”
Torrie Pare – 3rd year member:

“A sister is someone who brings happiness to your life.  When I think of sisterhood, I think of late night talks and creating a bond that is irreplaceable.  A sister is your second opinion, your someone to confide in and your best friend.”
Sura Karralli – 6th year member:

“Sisters are there to tell you that your headband doesn’t match your outfit and that you’re not allowed to wear those shoes in public.”
Sahar Estetardhi – 3rd year member:

“A sister is your second opinion, someone to confide in and your best friend.  Sisterhood is a lifelong bond that you form.  Your sisters will be in your wedding, and at your baby showers.  You can get crazy and silly without being judged. Someone is always there for you. You can borrow everyone’s clothes! We all share!”


 At the end of the day, we all have different views on what it means to be a sister, yet we all agree on one common message.  A sister is someone who will always be there, not just temporarily and not just when times are good – always.  Through the fights, tears and hardships, my sisters are always there to comfort me and give me great advice.  I will be forever thankful.

Sisterhood is such a special part of Delta Gamma that I wish every woman the opportunity to experience.  The women aren’t just my friends, they’re my sisters.

 ITB,

No comments:

Post a Comment