Thursday, March 29, 2012

My Delta Gamma Experience

As I reflect on my experiences thus far in Delta Gamma, I am amazed at how much it has done for me.  Delta Gamma has touched me on not only a personal level, but also on ethical and professional levels.  I am so thankful to have fallen into the arms of such loving sisters.

Coming into fall recruitment, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  I wasn’t even that sure if I wanted to be a part of a sorority, but somehow, I ended up sitting in the auditorium during the first night of recruitment. 

The first day of recruitment, I remember visiting each different house and feeling very disappointed.  I just wanted to find a place to fit in, and be surrounded with girls I felt like I could relate to.
The moment I walked into the Delta Gamma house, it was like a breath of fresh air.  Just like that, the pressure was lifted from my shoulders and I felt like I just belonged there.  DG’s had something different about them – they were classy and real, and the room was filled with women who I would be proud to associate with.   So I did.

Starting off as a new member in DG, I learned so much about myself.  Many times, I stepped outside the lines of what was “normal” or “expected” of me, and DG helped remind me that there was nothing wrong with that.  For the first time in my life, I truly felt like I had something all to myself.
As expected, I made many wonderful friends and participated in many great philanthropy events.  I immediately jumped into getting involved in the chapter, and ran for the position of vp communications of the Gamma Sigma Chapter.

I even moved into the DG house!  After receiving all of these wonderful blessings through Delta Gamma, I remember thinking, “What else could it possibly do for me?” But I stretched even further – looked even deeper into opportunities through Delta Gamma.
At founder’s day, I am a DG alumna, named Audra, who worked for Francesca’s corporate office as a buyer.  For those of you who have no idea what a buyer is, just know that it is every girls dream job.  You basically get to choose what clothing the company wants to purchase.   And on top of being a buyer, she worked for Francesca’s, which is my favorite store.

Immediately, I took the initiative to send Audra my resume, and crossed my fingers for an opportunity to open up.  I just wanted to get my foot in the door.  Just when I thought I would never get a call, I did.  And before I knew it, I was working at Francesca’s corporate office, serving as an HR assistant and an assistant to the CEO of the company.  The work environment is absolutely amazing and I am so blessed to work there.
The moral of the story is that Delta Gamma has opened doors I never thought possible for me.  Although I still have to work hard and put forth effort, DG has given me access to resources and women that I could never find elsewhere.

Joining Delta Gamma was the best decision I have ever made and I am so proud to call myself a DG.

No comments:

Post a Comment